Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Sprechen sie Engrish ?


Date : July 8th, 2009

Speaking English ... anyone ?
I knew all along that the standard of English in the country has deteriorated somewhat since the late 70s.
But I was really "shocked & awed" by its level, after reading this article below (which I "copied" from Malaysia Today's homepage).

Why English should not be taught in Bahasa Malaysia

There is currently a brouhaha going on about the proposed teaching of Science and Maths in English. Some would like these two subjects to be taught in Bahasa Malaysia. I am not too concerned about Science and Maths. I am more worried about English. I feel English should no longer be taught in Bahasa Malaysia.

NO HOLDS BARRED Raja Petra Kamarudin

And why do I think that English should not be taught in Bahasa Malaysia? Well, maybe this circular from one of Malaysia’s leading universities would explain everything.

*************************************************
4th UiTM INTERNATIONAL SPORTS FIESTA19 – 23 November 2009 FUTSAL-RUGBY 7- TENPIN BOWLING-BADMINTON


Dear Sport Friends,

Regarding about the global issue H1N1 happens around the world, sadly to be informing that our UiTM International Sports Fiesta will be postponing to 19-23 November 2009.

For all teams which have been confirm to participate in our events, we have to say sorry for this announcements and our Ministry of Higher Education and Ministry of Health also advise to us to change the date for this current situation.

By the date have been confirm incoming this November hopefully your teams still can participate in our event and don’t hesitate to contact us for further information.And again, we would like to say sorry about the date change for the sake of our health among us.

See you in this November at UiTM Malaysia!!

Regards,
Mr. Mustaza Ahmad

DirectorSports Centre
Universiti Teknologi MARA Malaysia (UiTM)
=============================================================


Well, I was laughing out loud initially but on 2nd thought, this is really sad. And to think that my children will go through all this crap ... (sigh) .... it's really sickening. Guess I really need to plan out for their education.

Anyway, on the lighter side, below is another "joke" from a commentor to the article above.
Hope you have a good laugh but on the flip side, think about your children's education too.

=========================================================
Hilarious, allow me to share a joke I received by email (author unknown) that also illustrates the point "Why English should not be taught in Bahasa Malaysia" or for that matter "Why Bahasa Malaysia should not be taught in English"

Breaking up letter.
Timah wanted to break up with her Caucasian boyfriend so she wrote him a letter

Hi, My motive write dis letter to giv know u something. I want to CUT CONNECTION us. I saw u PLAY WOOD THREE in front my eyes. So, I break connection to PULL MY BODY from dis luv. I hav think about dis very COOK-COOK. I know I CLAP 1 HAND only. I don trust u again! U are really CROCDILE LAND! I don want u to PLAY-PLAY with my LIVER. I hav been crying until no more eye water. I don want BANANA TO FRUIT 2 TIMES. SAFE WALK!

The true,
Timah

Translation of CAPS / Underlined texts :

CUT CONNECTION - PUTUS HUBUNGAN
PLAY WOOD THREE - MAIN KAYU TIGA
PULL MY BODY - TARIK DIRI
COOK-COOK - MASAK-MASAK
CLAP 1 HAND - TEPUK SEBELAH TANGAN
CROCDILE LAND - BUAYA DARAT
BANANA TO FRUIT 2 TIMES - PISANG MASAK 2 KALI
SAFE WALK - SELAMAT JALAN
The True - Yang Benar


We all can forgive Timah I suppose, but I am shocked at the way Mustaza Ahmad (a sports center Director) writes, and he signs of the letter as Mr.Mustaza Ahmad, who the heck signs of as "Mr" ? I wonder if he goes around introducing himself " Hello , I am Mister Ahmad".

Vijay Kumar Murugavell


Have a good weekend ahead.
Cheers.

No comments: